Get email updates
Stay current with important information about the campaign.
- http://t.co/icbhMGX Good story from the AP on how school districts plan to use the money that should've been in the budget all along. 09:44:14 AM August 01, 2011 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Coverage of this week's technology task force meeting: http://t.co/Sr7DcHf 09:57:41 AM July 14, 2011 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- These laws turn public schools into private profit centers for education entrepreneurs, harming taxpayers and our children’s education. 08:44:52 AM June 14, 2011 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
Why did thousands of Idahoans protest the Luna plan? Read the bills for yourself and see.
A few “highlights” are listed below, or you can click the buttons to read the bills in their entirety.
Senate Bill 1108
- Rolls back the collective bargaining rights of Idaho teachers
- Prohibits professional negotiations regarding such issues as class sizes, lesson planning, and student health and safety
- Requires that school districts advertise on behalf of professional liability insurance providers
- Ends the practice of issuing renewable contracts to teachers
- Allows trustees to reduce salaries and change teacher working conditions without negotiations or due process
- Eliminates the fact-finding process in professional negotiations
- Allows school districts to fire proven teachers without legitimate reasons or a fair hearing
- Takes away funding safeguards for school districts experiencing unexpected enrollment declines
Senate Bill 1110
- Bases teacher performance pay on student test scores
- Establishes a complicated, vague and unproven pay scheme
- Requires local school districts to spend $89 million on bonuses over two years without providing a source of state funding
Senate Bill 1184
- Reduces state funding to local school districts by $156 million over the next six years
- Requires individual “mobile computing devices” for high school students
- Authorizes school districts to reduce the teaching staff by up to 25 percent
- Mandates online courses for high school graduation
- Forces local school boards to offset funding cuts and pay for laptop computers by:
- Increasing class sizes,
- Cutting pay for teachers and other school employees,
- Shortening the school year,
- Eliminating extra-curricular activities and enrichment programs, and/or
- Raising local property taxes
Download a PDF version of this information to share.